Angelina Opens Up About Being "Terrified" During Shiloh's Birth

Angelina Jolie, in her first U.S. interview since Shiloh Nouvel was born last month, says she was frightened during her daughter’s birth.

Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt

“You know, because you’re there for the birth, which I wasn’t for my first two kids, you’re just suddenly terrified that they’re not gonna take a first breath,” the actress says in an interview to air Tuesday on CNN’s Anderson Cooper 360. “That was my whole focus. I just wanted to hear her cry.”

Jolie also praises the medical team in Namibia who helped in the delivery โ€“ and says Brad Pitt was by her side during the birth.

“He was in the operating room,” she says in excerpts of the interview released to the Associated Press. “And we had amazing doctors. And everybody was so lovely.”

Jolie, 31, and Pitt, 42, are back in the United States with their three children. Pitt is in the process of adopting Maddox and Zahara.

Jolie, who sat for the interview in honor of World Refugee Day, tells Cooper that she gives a third of her income to charity: “Yeah, well, I had a stupid income for what I do,” she jokes.

I remember that exact same feeling of terror during both of my children’s births. I think hearing that first cry is the most wonderful feeling in the world.

Comments

1. tj says

I think thats true too cristhel, lol i love angelina jolie and i hate jennifer aniston, i hate everything jennifer does!!! im soooooooo happy for angelina right now, i mean shes a loving mom with a lot to do, im excited that she got to have an ACTUAL kid with brad pitt!!!!! i love that about angelina she just dont give a damn about anyones preception about her!!! and thats good!!!!

2. Cristhel says

To y’all bitches who say that Jennifer Aniston is much better that Angelina Jolie you all are wrong. Angie is millions of times better that Jennifer Aniston. Jennifer Aniston is such a bitch stupid ass bitch

Dear Angeline. I do not know if you will ever read this but I truely hope you do. I have been your fan way before Brad every came on the set, but when he did I never changed my feeling about the wonderful things you do. I would like to make a couple of suggestions some you may feel is none of my business but because you seem like a women who listens, I believe I can do this. You do alot of work outside the U.S and I think that is great, but there is a diesease running ramp in our country which kills more of our people everyday than HIV. Many people turn their back on it because the main source of transmital is drugs. Which leads us to two things one is many actors and actresses have drug problems but many of the poor who do not have medical treatment do as well. I am talking about Hepititus C. We need better knowlegde and help for those who can’t get help. I come to you with this problem because you are a go getter and you have the ability to get to places and ordinary person can not. Hepititus C is a death warrant and the people who are working on the problem are now clean and sober. It is much like HIV in the early years if we just do not talk about it , it will be gone. They do have a couple of medications that do help some, but the addicts that carry the geno type 1-A or 1-B are the hardest to treat not to mention the medication is very difficult to go through. It’s a real long treatment much like cancer traetmen. I am sorry for bring you this in a time of great news. Your children are beautiful and or course Shiloh. She looks like both of you. Daddy better keep a close watch on his girls when they get to be teens. Which brings me to the second issue I have heard in the magazines that marriage is put on hold. I can understand waiting but I have a granddaughter who lives with both mom and dad but they are not married at four year old she asked her mom to marry her dad and mom tried to explain but her answer was just ask.my daddy he will My advice for what it is worth you Brad seem wonderful together. You both seem to be in the same direction in life and from what I have seen you have a real special bond. Do not let previous spoiled apples reck the whole bunch. What is the difference between paper and nothing is you tend to think before acting on a impulse. You two were ment to be together contrary to what Jen may think. I have nothing against her but the way she made her self a maryt. I really like her always have but never really thought Jen and Brad were meant together. I hope you get my words and really think about them. Marriage is a life time comment just as kids are and if you think that it will hurt less if you do not make it you are wrong. When ever a couple breaks up the children hurt. This for you two will cause more hurt without the paper because more than likely the break-up will be over something one would not do if married, It is so much easier to leave. You deserve the best and so does Brad I believe you found it in each other. Respectfully Karon Chandler

4. NIcki says

Plumkins, I’m so sorry to hear about your loss. What a beautiful post you wrote. I’m sure God will bless you and your family also. Sending prayers to the Bahamas for you.

5. Diana says

Braydie – apologies if I have upset you, let’s not get nasty now. That’s why I haven’t been on here for a while, I don’t wanna get sucked in to mindless and bitchy comments, when this website was set up to talk about celebs, not one another! Apologies for bringing my Christianity in to this as well. Everyone makes mistakes, boy I have made them ๐Ÿ˜‰ I am glad that other people have passed on their good wishes and blessings to Angelina, Brad and the family. They truely are beautiful family.

6. Plumkins says

Angelina and Brad has given the world another beautiful child. I live all the way in the Bahamas, and i have watched the shows and how every one was so excited to see Brad and Angelina’s baby. I know that they dont care about the negative comments that people make about there relationship or how they live their life. We can ridicule them all we want, but they have a child together and in their world thats all that matters. Angelina being a first time mother by giving birth to her own child must feel the greatest love in the world that her baby is alive healthy and well. I lost my baby back in May of 2005 and it hurt because I didnt get to hear my baby cry or even see her take a breath. I just held her in my arms and watched as she fought to breathe but couldnt because her lungs werent fully developed. I am just happy that their baby is healthy and if Brad and Angelina ever read these postings please know from the bottom of my heart that I am praying that God blesses your family and that little Shiloh brings you all the joy and love and happiness in the world.

Plumkins
    The Bahamas

7. Tianna says

god bless them for all the goodness they as a couple and as a family bring to this world!Who cares what happened between Brad and Jen?In the grand scheme of things it doesnt really matter.All that really matters is they are happy and that they love each other.If only we could all be so lucky as to bring to the world such love and compassion and understanding for the differences between our cultures.Personally I think the world would be a much brighter place if we could all care the way Brad, Angelina ,and a select few of others do.On another note I always found it strange for a person to cast stones on a sinner when we are all sinners.No sin comes with a price tag.T

8. JANET says

Angelina & Brad you guys had a adorable baby she is one beautiful baby gril just like her mom and dad both of you are hot, I like you both you are my favorite hollywood stars a’m glad you are together hope you guys stay together for ever God bless.

9. JANET says

Angelina & Brad God bless you both and your kids and that wonderful baby gril that god has given you both love her and be there for her always keep your love alive and dont let anyone or anything destroy your love enjoy your kids and love them for ever hope you guys get marry and God bless you and the kids.

10. Braydie says

Melanie –
    Geneva only said anything beacuse she was jealous that she couldnt get into a good arguement on her own.

11. Braydie says

Geneva and diana.
    Yes Geneva good job sticking up for diana. you seem to be a dumbass also stick together you two. you seem to think you can just tell posters to do things you dont want them to do …like your comments “I get off your high horse if i was you” and “no need to get heated” … of you being a Christian? yea thats it your a Christian so im just jealous outta my mind….yea right. as for your 15 year old daughter stating things i do ….yea i guess your daughters a bitch like me huh? i guess i would be too if i had a mother like you. WHY would you bring up your religion in a baby blog? PREACH somewhere else you Christian bitch’s from hell. oh yeah and KISS MY ASS.

12. Diana says

For the record Melanie I wasn’t talking about you, but Braydie, but goodbye and all the best. God bless ;-)x

13. maria says

god bless on the new addition i am expecting any day now. a little girl of my own. your baby is beautiful.

14. Melanie says

Oh man – this will be my last post because you people are so stupid. Diana, maybe you should go out into the world doing something Christian instead of living your life through this blog. I can’t believe I even started on this – I am so much better than this and am so much better than all of you, including Anjelina Jolie and you in particular, you Diana. Good-bye all.

15. Diana says

Geneva – thanks for your kind words and for sticking up for me! I appreciate it. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Seems like Braydie and Melanie could be a little jealous, don’t you? I am not quite sure why Braydie commented to me by saying that I should not state things like I know her. To be honest, as a Christian I wouldn’t want to know someone so bitchy ๐Ÿ˜‰ Thanks again ๐Ÿ˜‰

God bless Angelina,and Brad on their newest addition.And for all you haters out there their ship will never sink.We don’t know what happened in that messed up relationship between Brad,and jen.She probably went flipo when her career went down after friends.He probably wanted kids,and she wanted an oscar.No one knows but,i believe that Brad would’nt of left her for no reason.So i take my hat off to Brad for wantting to have a family .That hunk is getting older not younger.

17. Geneva says

braydie, it wasnt only heated but ugly and nasty. lol to kissing your ass, how old are you? thats something my 15 year old would say.

18. Geneva says

melanie, it’s old news girl, get over it………. everyone has moved on to bigger and better things.

19. Braydie says

Diana —nope you didnt upset me ….i dont get upset over these posts or the posters themselves i dont mean to come off a bitch ..thats just how i think. the comment you made “I would get of your high horse if I were you!” was the only thing that caught my eye …people might call eachother names or state opinions that you might think are offensive but that comment just irked me. i ask people all the time not to curse or go on to personnal things but no one listens so if i cant change it might as well join it ๐Ÿ™‚ I think alot of the people on her are nice, genuine people even the posters that have REAL bad things to say that still have a point one way or the other…

20. Diana says

Braydie – I am sorry if I have upset you in anyway. It wasn’t my intention at all. Everyone has their rights to say how they feel, and put what they want. I wasn’t intentionally have a go at you, but apologies if you took it that way.

21. Braydie says

DIANA— good for you and if your not going to bother with my comments then why did you comment???? and i wasnt “heated” so stop assuming you think you know me. everyone has the right to say what they wish ifs it whore or bitch …. saint or angel. so skim over the nasty posts Diana, hopefully you will read all the “nice, genuine people” posts. so i guess what you really said was that everyone that writes nasty posts about angelina and brad or anyone else on here are assholes and liars huh??
    kiss my ass diana hows that for heated lol

22. Melanie says

Oh my goodness you people! Haven’t you heard that if Brad didn’t cheat with Angelina this time that it would be the first leading lady he hadn’t slept with? You guys put too much faith and hope in these people. Focus on your own relationships and be grateful we lead normal lives. I feel silly even taking the time to add to this silly blog but I couldn’t help myself anymore. Just remember when they split, I called it here.

23. Amanda says

I believe things happen in life for a reason, and if you were in a relationship and you thought at that time you were in love, you were then, but people continue to grow and I believe the love brad shared for jennifer at the time was that perfect love, but he didnt know angelina at that time and when he met her it was an unconditional love, that is why they are together,everyone knows if you are with someone that usually means you care about them! but should it truely matter what we think, look at all the good they do…did you do your good deed today

24. Diana says

Melanie – I take your words in to account, but everybody makes mistakes and I am sure that the baby will grow up to be very happy and contented and will have all that she would ever want out of life. Shouldn’t that be what we hope and wish for, for all children?

25. Diana says

Hi Braydie – no need to get heated. I personally thought Nonya was very cruel to call Angelina a whore, but I am not going to bother with your comments. Big up to all the nice, genuine people who have commented ๐Ÿ˜‰

26. Melanie says

To all of you Angenlina/Brad fans… Do you really believe this relationship is going to last? Once a cheater, always a cheater. Mark my words, this ship is sinking and sinking fast…

27. Nicki says

I can remember asking my Mom about when I was born,22 hrs of labor, first born, and I asked her, “Did you think I was a beautiful newborn?” She said “Nothing mattered until I heard you cry.” I said what, why, what was the matter????…… She said “There is nothing more beautiful than your newborns first cry.” She said until you hear that, you feel like you don’t even breath, and you keep saying, maybe to yourself, just cry!! Cry!! Breath!!! Then you hear it and it is “Thank you GOD for helping my baby breath. I thank you!” My Mom says it isn’t any different for any of the other ones, doesn’t matter if it is first born or 7th born. (But she did say I was beautiful, and PROBABLY the prettiest baby, but that took 35 years, lol.)

28. Aileen C. says

29. Aileen says

I hear comments about Jennifer Aniston. Okay Angelina helps out the countries who needs help. She appears to be tuff, loving, and a genuine person. I believe, she shows who she is in public. Good girl, bad girl. Nomatter what Jennifer and Angelina should never be compared. They are both talented beautiful people. Most importantly, just because they each do different things and have different interest doesn’t make one better than the other. What matters is what is in our own hearts and our own imperfection to recognize. It makes who we all are. Jennifer seems to have found happiness and I’m happy for her as a fan. If I had to pick a favorite actor, I don’t. They don’t bore me when I watch them all on television. That’s all that matters.

30. Aileen says

It must be hard for famous people to live a normal life and can’t help but want to know the world’s point of view. It must be hard for famous people to go out in hopes of not being noticed by crazy fans. Maybe it’s the public that drives couples away from eachother if they can’t live a peaceful life. Too much ATTENTION!! Dictators, camera flashers, and made up stories. Maybe one wants to be more noticed than the other actor. Whatever it is, I’m happy that Brad Pitt is happy! He is one “fine “peace of art. Most men probably want to be him and most women want a Brad Pitt. Overall, it’s important that noone drives couples away by publicity. Only true love can tell in the test of time. Only true love see each ones worth eye to eye. Only the ones who have strong will for love will allow to let ones guard down, (when most vunerable). True love allows this with confidence and trust, with belief in the person. I wish Brad and Angelina the BEST and stay together…..

31. Farrah S. says

I love Brad and Angelina I think that they are great people, very giving and caring, as for Jenn and I am not a fan but I do wish her well. Angelina to me is not a homewreckor, i beleave that no one still something or someone from you that you have not already lost, i think that Brad is more happy and more fulfilled now, I believe in Angelina he has found someone who sees a future. I love them together, not because they are beautiful to look at but beacuse they seem happy, not forced, simply happy!!!

32. Farrah S. says

I love Brad and Angelina I think that they are great people, very giving and caring, as for Jenn and I am not a fan but I do wish her well. Angelina to me is not a homewreckor, it think that no one still something from you that you have not already lost, I think that Brad is more happy and more fulfilled now, I believe in Angelina he has found someone who sees a future. I love them together, not because they are beautiful to look at but beacuse they seem happy, not forced, simply happy!!!

33. kay says

“…you know, another boy, another girl, which country, which race would fit best with the kids.” –Angelina

Which race would fit best with the kids?!?!?! Not exactly something you would expect to come out of the mouth of a woman who is so seemingly color blind. I thought it was about helping and loving children…not about creating a Bennetton ad.

34. Braydie says

Diana ….as you stated your opinion Nonya said what is her opinion…so who are you to preach about anything ? why dont you say anything about the people that praise her? or is it just that you dont feel that any one elses opinions matter , unless its a OMG ANGELINA SO GREAT POST??? AND your NOT her so get off your own damn high horse…
    also about the post im glad everything went good for them because any baby has the right to have a good start no matter who the parents are

35. tina says

I adimre and respct Angelina for all the good she does for the children of theworld. May Godbless her and her family. I give her beautiful Shiloh an Ethiopia nameBruk meaning Blessing or the blessedone. May she bring many blessings to her wonderfulfamily

36. PaGirl says

I Have To comment on this ,First I Really Like Jen Aniston But After Seeing All The Good That Angelina Jolie Is Doing (Giving All Money From Baby Shilohs Pictures To All Charity) I Think That Is Sooo Amazing. We Need More People Like Her In The World That can Use their celebrity status to Help Others & Since Brad Is a Part Of that Too I Also Admire Him. They know They would Get Big Bucks For Their babys Picture But Chose To Give To Charity All Of it . Wow ! I Think Thats Awesome. They seem To Be very Compatible ,Just as Vince & Jen Seem To Be so, Regarding What Someone Else Said On Here There are 2 sides To every Story ,We Didn’t Live With Brad & Jen So We can’t Judge . Pagirl

37. Diana says

Nonya – they are really horrible things to say about Angelina and Brad. People seems to forget that like everything, there are two sides to every story and I am sure if you listened to Brad’s side of the story it would be different to Jen’s story. Also, Angelina and Brad do so much good in the world but helping out orphans etc.. I would get of your high horse if I were you! I totally agree with your comments Aileen!

38. Aileen says

I want to see baby picture’s with her eyes open. I want to see some pictures of the baby crying, laughing, and making expressions. I don’t even know them, but I’m a big fan regardless of anything. I’m a Aniston fan too!

I want to correct myself before a comment is made. When I quoted the word rebound above, I don’t know that for a fact. That’s why I said, ” But who know what’s really on ones mind” I thought I should make that clear incase I’m misunderstood.

39. Aileen C. says

To the comment above: God Bless Angelina and Brad Pitt with new born baby. If Angelina stole Brad Pitt away from Jen with him having feelings for his wife, “Rebound”. But who knows what’s really on ones mind. Jennifer is a great person on television as an actress and proved herself to be a good person in reality. Nomatter what direction life takes anyone, something better will come along for us.

40. nonya says

it should have been jen and brad’s baby.angelina is a homewrecking lying whore….brad totally cheated on jen with her…karma is a bitch!!

41. Anhriette says

Brad and Angelina are truly a beautiful couple, but more than physical beauty, they are also beautiful inside. Their children are very lucky, for their lives will be filled with love.

I admire, respect and praise them for the love they share, and the work they do.

Anhri

42. youdon'tneedtoknow says

i don’t like Jeniffer aniston shes just dumb!! i’m glad angelina and brad are together!!!!

43. Leona says

I love Angelina, I think she’s fab. She has such a social conscience but she doesn’t make a big deal of it.

44. carleigh says

Just another example of how open she is about herself. I wish them all the best and they make a wonderful family.